This post is about our wonderful sunset cruise near Stone Town. It also comprises a list of tours from Stone Town.
This Sunset cruise was our "goodbye" tour in Stone Town. We did it the day before we had to leave. So at 5p.m. our boat departed and we watched beautiful Stone Town coastline, fishermen preparing to go fishing at night, sea-gulls. As a culmination we had a marvelous time watching the sunset. It was very romantic as well, thus we enjoyed it greatly.
If you stay in Stone Town and you have no special plans for your evening this is what you need. Although I have a few comments.
- Do not wear any long cloths as you are more likely to embark from the water.
- Better take your own appetizers or/and snacks with your preferred drinks with you. Because if you want to eat at least something on the boat, you will have to pay more for the cruise. (Cruise with soft drinks (most likely Cola/Fanta) costs 25$ p/p, and the cruise with "light snacks" costs 35$) We went for the second option, and were completely unsatisfied with proposed "light snacks" that were disgusting local chips and 2 samoosas. For drinks we had Cola and Fanta and 0,3 ml of water.
So my tip is, discuss everything before paying for your tour. Ask your tour operator to describe every detail, make him show photos of previous trips. Do not hesitate to bargain.
When we came to Stone Town for a week everybody tried to convince us that there is nothing to do in Stone Town during such a long stay. However everyday we did something new, had several tours and visited many places outside Stone Town. For those of you, who will stay in Stone Town as we did, here is the list of tours that one can make from this town. Almost all of the excursions are half-day tours, and only few will last the whole day.
1. Stone Town tour (daytime/at night). We made it by ourselves. Walking inside the city is easy, safe and relaxing.
2. Spice tour (check more details in my previous post).
3. Prison island tour (check more details in my previous post).
4. Jozani Forest tour (check more details in my previous post).
5. Dolphin tour to Kizimkazi. Includes swimming, snorkeling, lunch, Jozani forest.
6. Safari Blue day trip. Includes swimming, snorkeling, lunch. It is one of the most expensive excursions. It costs 75$, but as for me it was not such impressive. For swimming and snorkeling I can advice you to try something closer and cheaper.
7. North coast day trip to Ras Nungwi. May be organized easily by yourselves. Bus ticket costs 9$. Although it goes only once a day, so you will need to stay up North for a night.
8. East coast day trip.
9. Bawe island. Includes snorkeling near a small island not far from Stone Town. After snorkeling one can relax at the sand Bank.
10. Dhow cruise.
11. Traditional fishing.
I included this list into my last post about Stone Town, Zanzibar as an advice for those who will go there so that you will not be persuaded that you can be bored there. So, it is not really so important where are you, what is more important is what you are up to. Even after staying in Stone Town for a week we haven't tried nor seen everything. This fact makes us want to come back soon.